First off, let’s get this straight. I LOVE SCREENR, and I would probably pay for it if it wasn’t already free. It is one of my favorite Twitter apps. I used to use Camtasia for making screencasts, and while that’s probably better for more advanced screencasting techniques, I prefer to use Screenr now.
Why? Because most of my videos were less than five minutes anyway (Screenr’s time limit), I never used any of those previously-mentioned advanced screencast techniques available, and most importantly, it’s crazy-easy to use. Just record and upload, nothing too fancy. And it’s all web-based, no software to download.
At the present time, there are no paid options for Screenr. Everything is completely free, but there are some limits. It only makes sense to have some paid features/upgrades to remove these limits. Here are my ideas:
- Remove the five minute time limit, or maybe make it some amount that 99% of people won’t ever get close to, like 2 hours, since there’s no such thing as “unlimited”.
- Scheduling, so videos aren’t posted as soon as they’re uploaded. For example, maybe you could record a week’s worth of screencasts, and publish only a certain amount per day.
- Private screencasts, since right now all screencasts are completely public. There may be some scenarios where you would want to restrict who sees your screencasts. Maybe make it “invite only” to a select group of Screenr/Twitter users.
- Editing features, since I record about 10 screencasts until I finally get it right. When you’re recording hour-long videos, you’d probably be pretty pissed if you had to redo it because of a little mistake that you couldn’t edit out.
- Captions would probably be useful for everyone as a free feature, as it might be nice to be able to type in captions to supplement the video content, which would be especially useful where voice recording isn’t available.
- Separate login options, so if something screwy happens with your Twitter account, your Screenr account isn’t by association, screwy, in any way. Again, this might be useful as a free feature as well. Screenr doesn’t need Twitter, it’s not like a Twitter client that would be useless without Twitter.
It’s a mystery to me why some of these features have not already been implemented. I’m not too familiar with the parent company of Screenr, and maybe they can afford all this, but on it’s own Screenr’s 100% free model currently used doesn’t seem sustainable at all.
Hosting and streaming videos uses up a ton of bandwidth which in turn costs a ton of money and I’d hate to see Screenr shut down because they’re losing too much money. Not to mention the development and support costs associated with maintaining the website.
So, you have any premium Screenr feature ideas? Have you used Screenr before, and if so, do you think it’s as awesome as I do? Let me know in the comments.
Oh by the way, if you want to see all of my Screenr videos, check out my Theme Lab Screenr page.